EU CODE WEEK Deep Dive MOOC
The EU CODE WEEK Deep Dive MOOC takes place from the 16th of September to the 11th of November 2019 with a total of estimaded effort of 25h.
The MOOC aims to raise awareness about the importance of integrating coding and computational thinking into lessons, offering an opportunity to became familiar with innovative tools and approaches such as visual programming, unplugged activities, robotics, tinkering and coding for all subjects.
At the end of the MOOC, participants will have to organise an activity with their students or colleagues and register it in the Code Week map. After reporting the activity, participants will also get a certificate validated by the European Commission for their participation and engagement in the campaign.
The course is organised around the principle of peer learning, with course content designed to stimulate reflection and discussion so that participants can learn from each others' experiences and ideas. In order to complete the cours, participants are required to submit a final course product and review their peers' work.
The course can be followed by primary and secondary school teachers, regardless the subject they teach and their previous knowledge of coding. The course is open to anybody interested and willing to bring innovation to the classroom or anybody interested in taking the course. No previous experience or knowledge on coding is required to take the course.
The learning objectives are the following:
- Understanding the importance of integrating coding and computational thinking into the classroom;
- Becoming familiar with innovative tools and approaches such as visual programming tools, unplugged activities, robotics, tinkering and making and coding for all subjects;
- Gaining some basic knowledge of the Code.org CS fundamentals curriculum;
- Discovering free training materials and resources;
- Becoming familiar with the EU Code Week campaign and learning how to register an activity and report back;
- Discovering the Code Week 4 All challenge;
- Becoming part of a community of enthusiastic teachers that can interact, share best practices and participate in the 2019 EU Code Week together.
The course will be delivered in English and it is composed by 5 modules.
- MODULE 1: Why Coding, Computational Thinking and EU Code Week Campaign;
- MODULE 2: Unplugged Coding, Computational Thinking and Equity in Schools;
- MODULE 3: Visual Programming Languages, Scratch & Co.
- MOSULE 4: Robotics, Tinkerig and Making, and App Development;
- MODULE 5: Coding for All Subjects, Code.org Computer Science Fundamentals.